San Mateo County Operation Brown Bag is a program that gives low-income seniors a weekly bag of groceries. There are many volunteer opportunities to assist with this program. Brown Bag sites are located throughout San Mateo County.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Home Delivery Driver
Location: Food distribution sites throughout San Mateo County
Purpose: The purpose of the Brown Bag Delivery Program is to provide weekly groceries to our homebound, low-income seniors and disabled older adults.
- Valid California Driver's License, proof of automobile insurance, and background check
- Warm, enthusiastic, and personable
- Experience working with seniors is a plus
- Ability to lift at least 30 pounds
Training: Will be provided on Brown Bag home delivery process and customer service requirements.
Time Commitment: One to three hours per week depending upon the number of deliveries. Volunteers need to make a nine month commitment with allowance for vacation time.
To learn more about this volunteer program, please contact Arlene Aquino, Brown Bag Program Manager, (650) 610-0800 ext. 416 or email@example.com
On-site Distribution Assistance
- Location: South San Francisco
Time: 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Day: Mondays (weekly)
Zip Code: 94080
- Location: Daly City
Time: 8:45 AM – 11:00 AM
Day: Fridays (weekly)
Zip Code: 94014
- Location: Millbrae
Time: 7:30 AM – 10:00 AM
Day: Thursdays (weekly)
Zip Code: 94030
Tasks: Under direction of the distribution coordinator:
- Help give fresh, healthy, food to 200 of your low-income elderly neighbors
- Unload boxes of food from pallets onto tables
- Move a variety of fresh produce from outdoor bins into the distribution room
- Carry and open sacks of produce for senior volunteers to start packing into individual bags
- Remove empty pallets to designated area for driver pick-up
- Move food and arrange it to facilitate the distribution process
- Break down boxes for recycling
- Friendly, open personality
- Be able to lift boxes between 20-50 lbs.
- Ability to work in a team environment
To sign up, contact:
Arlene Aquino, Community Programs Manager
(650) 610-0800 ext. 416