Agency Monitor Volunteer: San Mateo County
Location: Various partner community agencies throughout San Mateo County
Description: A requirement of the Food Bank is to have every partner agency inspected every two years to ensure safe food storage and preparation. As a Partner Agency Monitor Volunteer you will help by inspecting selected partnering agencies. Monitoring takes about 1 hour.
Training: Partner Agency Monitors receive 4 to 6 hours of hands on training by a Second Harvest Partner Agency Manager where you will go to a partner agency and learn proper form preparation and the specifics of inspection details.
- Not necessary but helpful - a background in food preparation and handling is a plus
- Not necessary but helpful - nutrition or dietician experience
- Able to attend pre training
- Comfortable working independently as well as part of a team with a diverse population
- Professional representation with ability to legibly complete the documentation process
- Able to commit to one year of volunteer work, use own transportation
- Able to volunteer during working hours Monday-Friday between the hours of 9:00 am and 4:00 pm
- 18 years or older
Hours: Must be able to commit to a minimum of 2 hours per month over a span of one year.
phone: (650) 610-0800 x402
Agency Monitor Volunteer: Santa Clara County
Location: Santa Clara County/Curtner Center (750 Curtner Ave., San Jose)
Description: The Agency Relations team needs assistance in monitoring our nonprofit partner agencies. This involves inspecting the cooking, storage, and food preparation of our partners' facilities. A background in food preparation, nutrition, or food safety is a plus. Any nutrition or dietician experience would also be helpful. We will provide the basic training in Food Bank policies and procedures and how to document the monitor. We will also provide a one-hour class on food safety. After training, volunteer will perform the monitors independently. Must be willing to travel to sites with personal vehicle. Agencies are located throughout Santa Clara County.
- Ability to read and write English
- Like to work with diverse people
- Ability to drive to various sites with personal vehicle
Hours: 2-3 hours per week (can be more); schedule is flexible. Would prefer during the weekday. Minimum of 3 month commitment.
phone: (408) 266-8866 x229
Drives and Donor Services Assistant
Location: Cypress Center (4001 N. First Street, San Jose)
Supports: Food and Fund Drive/Donor Services Team
Description: This position is responsible for providing support to the Food and Fund Drive/Donor Services team. This position requires excellent donor/customer service, creativity, and extreme attention to detail and flexibility.
- Making thank you calls to supporters (No solicitation required)
- Writing thank you cards to supporters
- Close work orders
- Process food and fund drive enrollments
- Correspond to potential Food and Fund Drive Hosts
- Assist with scheduling of barrel delivery and pickup
- Provide general support to Food and Fund Drive Coordinator and Donor Services Specialist
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Desire and ability to pay meticulous attention to detail
Hours: Hours are flexible anytime between 10am-5pm Monday through Friday. Open for discussion.
Phone: 408-266-8866 ext. 366
Administrative Support: Finance
Location: Curtner Center (San Jose)
Supports: Chief Financial Officer
Description: The CFO is seeking a volunteer that can help two hours a week for the first month, and one hour a week from then on. Preferred hours are later in the afternoon and later in the week. Main responsibilities are typing, filing, and alphabetizing. Volunteer should be able to take direction, read and write in English, and work as a team member as well as independently. Organizational skills a plus! Great environment!
Sally Petersen, Chief Financial Officer
phone: (408) 266-8866 ext. 287
Food Connection Hotline Operator
Description: Volunteer with the CalFresh and Food Connection Teams! Help combat hunger and address food insecurity by working with the Outreach team to educate the community about the CalFresh (Food Stamp) program and other available food resources. The Food Connection Hotline Operator will assist callers by providing referrals for food assistance.
Location: Curtner Center (750 Curtner Ave., San Jose)
Supports: Food Connection, a food referral hotline to connect people seeking food assistance.
Hours: Flexible 3-hour shifts between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday – Friday. Volunteer positions with Food Connection require a commitment of 3 hours per week for a minimum of 3 months.
- Must be bi-lingual in English/Spanish or English/Vietnamese
- Excellent customer-service skills
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Ability to use the computer
- Age 18+ years
- Participate in on-the-job training provided by Second Harvest Food Bank staff
Note: Appropriate for individuals and small groups.
phone: (408) 266-8866 x229
Administrative Support: Reception
Location: Bing Center (San Carlos), Curtner Center (San Jose), or Cypress Center (San Jose)
Supports: Food Bank Front Offices
Description: Office Manager is seeking a volunteer that can help 4 + hours per work week and make a commitment of at least a year. Current need is to answer phones, greet visitors, and support general office projects. Hours and times are flexible — anytime between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Prefer 9-1pm or 1-5pm shifts Monday through Friday. Fun and meaningful environment!
Emily Donoho, Front Office Coordinator
phone: (408) 266-8866 x 234