CalFresh (Food Stamp) and Food Connection Outreach Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteer with the CalFresh and Food Connection Teams! Help combat hunger and address food insecurity by working with the Outreach team to educate the community about the CalFresh (Food Stamp) program and other available food resources.
Food Connection Hotline Operator
Description: Assist callers by providing referrals for food assistance.
Location: Curtner Center (750 Curtner Ave., San Jose)
Supports: Food Connection, a food referral hotline to connect people seeking food assistance.
Hours: Flexible 3-hour shifts between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday – Friday. Volunteer positions with Food Connection require a commitment of 3 hours per week for a minimum of 3 months.
- Must be bi-lingual in English/Spanish or English/Vietnamese
- Excellent customer-service skills
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Ability to use the computer
- Age 18+ years
- Participate in on-the-job training provided by Second Harvest Food Bank staff
Note: Appropriate for individuals and small groups.
phone: (408) 266-8866 x295
Unique Opportunity for Extroverts
Description: Looking for a way to help neighbors in need access free food resources available? Join our growing team of outreach volunteers and become a Second Harvest "Promotor." Work with the outreach team to promote CalFresh and Food Bank programs; screen for eligibility and provide application assistance to food insecure community members.
Location: Various outreach activities, events, and opportunities in their own neighborhood/community throughout San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties.
Training: Promotores complete an 8-hour training in 2-3 sessions, which include:
- Food Bank resources
- CalFresh (Food Stamps) benefits eligibility screening
- Community outreach techniques
Hours: Commit to volunter a minimum of 3 hours weekly.
- 18 years old and up
- Outgoing and enthusiastic
- Able to attend 8 hour training
- Able to commit at least 3 hours per week to community outreach volunteering
- Attend monthly meeting/training session (1st Saturday mornings)
Note: Appropriate for monolingual Spanish speakers, as well as bilingual volunteers who speak English and another language. View this listing in Spanish
To sign up, submit this Volunteer Interest form or email firstname.lastname@example.org.