‘Tis the season of giving! We are so grateful for the many community groups and local businesses that support our work and help our neighbors in need this holiday season.
Here’s a list of special events and promotions benefiting the Food Bank (we’ll be adding more as we hear about them, so please check back often):
Fundraisers and Food Drives
- Safeway and NBC Bay Area’s “Feed the Need” Drive – Support Bay Area food banks by purchasing a $10 specially produced shopping bag filled with items that food banks need the most at 155 Safeway locations throughout the Bay Area, now through 12/25. You can also easily make a $1, $5 or $10 donation at the register.
- Whole Foods Feed4More Campaign – From 11/22 through 12/11, monetary donations will be collected at Whole Foods registers for Feeding America, and 90% of funds will be distributed to local food banks.
- Whole Foods Market Nickels for Nonprofits – When you shop at Whole Foods Markets, $0.05 is taken off your bill for every shopping bag you reuse. Now through 12/31, you also have the option to donate that nickel to Bay Area food banks!
- Sprouts Farmers Market “Grab N Give” Food Drive – Now through 12/31, shoppers can purchase pre-packed “Grab ‘N Give” bags filled with pantry staples or personal care items at a 10 percent discount that Sprouts will donate on their behalf to a local food bank. Donation bags are approximately $10 and include canned food and nonperishable groceries along with separate bags filled with personal care items.
- San Mateo County Libraries Food for Fines – During the months of November and December, bring non-perishable food items into participating San Mateo County libraries and fines/fees will be waived! All food collected will be donated to Second Harvest Food Bank.
- Scouting for Food, 11/17 – In the Bay Area, more than 30,000 Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, Venturers, Explorers and their supporters will be “Scouting for Food” by picking up boxed or bagged nonperishable food items for local food banks placed on doorsteps by 9 a.m. on Saturday, 11/17.
- 99.7 NOW’s Fernando and Greg Live Broadcast, 11/16 – 99.7 NOW radio show hosts Fernando and Greg will be broadcasting live from the Willow Glen Safeway on Hamilton Ave. from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. to promote donations to Second Harvest. Stop by to drop off a non-perishable food donation and your name entered for Poptopia concert tickets and meet and greet with Camila Cabello! More info.
- Cranksgiving San Jose, 11/17 – San Jose’s third annual Cranksgiving is happening this year! Part bike ride, part food drive, part scavenger hunt, this community event has been held annually in New York City since 1999 and now there are nearly 80 independently organized events across the globe. Get more info.
- 95.3 KRTY Food Drive, 11/17 – Stop by for a live broadcast and drop-off non-perishable food donations at Westgate Center in San Jose from 12:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and be entered into a drawing for concert tickets and meet and greet with Carrie Underwood. Get details.
- Second Harvest Cocktail Fundraiser, 11/20 – Enjoy a night of cocktails, hors d’oeuvres and giving to support a great cause! Indulge in culinary bites provided by Alexander’s Steakhouse and specialty themed cocktails by a celebrity mixologist. Plates stay full and glasses stay filled while you bid over incredible silent auction items. The evening culminates with an amazing raffle drawing that is sure to delight a few lucky winners. Gift bags will be handed out towards the end of the event so you can continue the celebration for weeks to come! Save your spot!
- Silicon Valley Turkey Trot, 11/22 – Start Thanksgiving Day off on the right foot at the Applied Materials “Silicon Valley Turkey Trot.” It’s an event the whole family will enjoy! Many have made the “run” or “walk” a Thanksgiving Day tradition. Register today!
- Hot San Jose Nights, 12/8 – Pull out that cool car for one last ride of 2018 for people in need in our very own backyard! Hot San Jose Nights invites you to bring a donation to support Red Cross fire relief, Toys for Tots and Second Harvest Food Bank, then park and chat! Local politicians will stop by to support this worthy cause and enjoy meeting all of you to say thanks. The event runs from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at Cambrian Park Plaxa Shopping Center, 14900 Camden Ave., San Jose. More info.
Shopping & Dining Promotions
- AmazonSmile is an easy and automatic way to support Second Harvest Food Bank. Every time you shop at AmazonSmile, the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price from your eligible purchases to the Food Bank. You’ll find the exact same low prices and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus of helping our neighbors in need.
- Crate & Barrel – From 11/1 to 12/31, Crate & Barrel will be accepting monetary donations from customers at the register and online. One hundred percent of dollars raised will go directly to food banks in the Feeding America network, like us!
- Tobi is an international fast-fashion online retail destination serving young women. Tobi will donate 1 percent of your eligible purchases to Second Harvest at no additional cost. First-time customers get 50 percent off their first order. Use our Tobi referral link.
- Feeding America’s Give A Meal Program – With the help of Bank of America, your holiday gift can help us provide twice as many meals for our neighbors in need. Donate to Feeding America’s Give A Meal program through 12/31 and Bank of America will match every $1 with an additional $2! BoA will only match a total of $1,000 per donor. Donate online.