Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35-40 minutes
Warm Butternut Squash and Apple Sauté
- 1-2 Tbsps butter or cooking oil
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 apples, cored and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- Salt to taste
This simple dish is one of our favorites to make for our clients who may need some ideas on how to easily prepare butternut squash. The aromas of fall come together when you sauté squash and apples with cinnamon and nutmeg. Top with pecans or cranberries for a perfect holiday side dish.
How to Make Warm Butternut Squash and Apple Sauté
1. On medium-high heat, coat a pan with 1 tablespoon of butter or oil.
2. Add squash to pan and cook for about 5-7 minutes, tossing occasionally to cook evenly.
3. Mix the apples in with the squash. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon and nutmeg.
4. Continue to cook and lightly toss for another 12-15 minutes, adding up to 1 teaspoon of butter or oil if needed.
5. Turn off heat once apples and squash are tender and caramelized.
6. Add salt to taste.
. For a sweeter dish, add 1 tsp of brown sugar when adding in the spices.
. Top with chopped pecans or dried cranberries.