Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Total Time: 30 min
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 medium red beet, peeled, chopped, and cooked
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 2-3 Tbsp honey or maple syrup, or to taste
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil + more for cooking
- 2 tsp vanilla extract, optional
- 3 Tbsp milk, or more if needed, optional
We can all agree that pancakes are a breakfast favorite for both kids and adults alike. We love this recipe because it uses so many food bank staples such as oats, beets, yogurt and eggs. Making these homemade pancakes are not only vibrant and fun to serve, they also are perfectly light, fluffy, and delicious.
How to Make Homestyle Beet Pancakes
1. Combine oats, baking powder, and salt into a blender. Blend until oats become a very fine flour. Pour oat mixture into a bowl and set aside.
2. In the now empty blender, add the beet, yogurt, apple sauce, eggs, honey/maple syrup, 2 Tbsp oil, and vanilla (if using). Blend until smooth and well combined.
3. Add the oat mixture back into the blender and blend again. Stop and scrape down the sides of the blender as needed. If using, add milk to thin out the batter for less dense pancakes and
blend to combine.
4. Heat a 12-inch pan over medium-low heat and add vegetable oil.
5. Pour the batter a little at a time into the pan to form 4 small pancakes, about 3 to 4 inches wide. Cook until small bubbles form on the top of the pancakes and the edges look dry, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook the other side for another 2 minutes. Place cooked pancakes aside and continue to cook the remaining batter.
1. You can cook the beet however you like: steamed, boiled, roasted, etc.
2. A regular, runnier yogurt works better than a thick, Greek yogurt for this recipe.
3. Topping ideas: chopped nuts, fresh fruit, yogurt, maple syrup, honey, or nut butter