Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 1/2 cup long grain rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup (~1/2 can) chickpeas
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
Mediterranean Chickpea Rice with Lemon is a bright and filling dish. Beans and rice are such a classic combination in so many cultures – they are hearty, nutritious, and comforting. This dish has a creamy texture from the chickpeas and perfect tanginess from the lemon. Get creative with your beans and rice dish with this delicious vegetarian recipe.
How to Make Mediterranean Chickpea Rice with Lemon
- Wash rice.
- In a medium sauce pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft, then add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add rice, water, chickpeas, bay leaf and salt.
- Bring water to boil and cover the pot. Cook ingredients over low heat for 15-20 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
- Turn off the heat and let it sit for 5-10 more minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork. Gently mix in lemon juice and parsley. Add pepper to taste.