Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Total Time: 65 Minutes
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 onion, diced small
- 1 carrot, in thin half moons
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 Tbsp curry paste (yellow is best)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 5oz cans of tuna, drained
We love one-pot meals! This savory rice dish has spices and aromas inspired from Indian cuisine and give the rice a beautiful vibrant color. The brown rice, tuna and beans makes this a nutrient packed protein dish, but you can skip the tuna if you prefer a plant-based diet. Perfect for a quick dinner idea or easy enough to make for a large potluck.
How to Make Savory Curry Rice and Tuna
- Heat a large soup pot with the cooking oil on medium high heat.
- Add the onions and carrot to the pot with a pinch of salt. Cook until the onions start to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add the brown rice, turmeric and curry paste to the onions and carrots. Stir to coat the rice with the spices and oil.
- Add 1 cup of water. Stir to dissolve the spices. Add the rest of the water and lemon juice.
- Let the water come to a boil, then turn down the heat to low. Cover the pot and let it simmer for 40 minutes, or until the rice is done.
- Fluff the rice gently with a fork. Fold in white beans, green beans and tuna. Add the lemon juice, salt and pepper.