Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 70 minutes
- 1/2 medium spaghetti squash (from a 3 lb squash)
- 2 1/2 tbsp oil
- 8 oz extra firm tofu, diced
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts, plus more to serve
Pad Thai sauce
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste (or rice wine vinegar)
- 2 tbsp fish sauce (or soy sauce)
- 2 tbsp of palm sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp chopped peanuts (optional)
- Lime wedges
- Red pepper flakes
- Any extra cooked spaghetti squash can be eaten with your favorite pasta sauce.
Here is a twist to a Thai food favorite. In this dish we substituted noodles for spaghetti squash but did not skimp out on any flavor. Fresh ingredients all tossed together in a delicious homemade pad thai sauce that is so good it tastes like it came from your favorite Thai restaurant.
How to Make Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai
- Preheat oven 375°.
- In a bowl combine the tamarind paste, fish sauce, sugar and 2 tbsp of water. Microwave for 30 seconds and whisk until combined. Measure 1/4 cup of sauce to be used for this recipe. Refrigerate remaining for later.
- Cut the squash in half. Bake cut side down in a baking pan for 30 to 45 minutes until soft. Shred the inside with a fork and set aside. You will only need 3-4 cups of squash. Save the rest for later (See note).**
- Toss the tofu in the cornstarch until evenly coated.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add a tablespoon of oil and quickly swirl to coat pan. Add the tofu and stir-fry until golden on all sides, about 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the cooked tofu to a plate.
- Warm another half tablespoon of oil in the pan. Add onions and cook until soft and golden brown, remove from pan and set aside with tofu.
- Scramble eggs in the pan. Once cooked, set aside with tofu and onion.
- Warm the last half tablespoon of oil in the pan and add the garlic. Fry until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add spaghetti squash to pan and spread into a single layer, cooking until squash is a golden color. Do not move the squash too frequently, waiting about 30 seconds between stirs.
- Add 2 tbsp of pad thai sauce to the pan and toss to coat squash evenly.
- Add bean sprouts, tofu, onion and eggs to the pan. Stir until combined. Add more sauce if desired.
- To serve, place noodles in the bowl and garnish with chopped peanuts, cilantro, red pepper flakes and lime wedges.