Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 70 minutes
- 3 large bell peppers, halved lengthwise and deseeded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese of choice
Enjoy this fun variation to bring variety to your menu. Ideal to use leftover brown rice or black beans. Try colorful bell peppers and enjoy it as a side dish or a light dinner.
How to Make Rice and Beans Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Sauté onions and celery for 5 minutes. Add garlic. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add all the seasonings and the can of tomatoes. Simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and beans, until all the ingredients are mixed together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stuff peppers and put into a lightly oil coated baking dish. Pour enough water into a baking dish to just cover the bottom. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cheese on the peppers and continue baking until the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.