School and Summer Meals
School meals are an important source of nutrition for kids and teens. Most schools offer lunch and breakfast, and many have afterschool meals and supper options. These meals may be free or reduced price. Ask at your school office about signing up for school meals.
Balanced, nutritious meals offer immeasurable benefits:
- Increased attendance
- Improvements in behavior
- More student engagement
- Better diet and physical health
- Enhanced cognitive function
- Improved emotional health
- Decreased risk for obesity and diabetes
Second Harvest is working with school districts and other community partners to maximize the use of these programs, ensuring that students receive the food they need to fully engage in school and life. We help connect districts to federal dollars and best practices. Recognizing that school breakfast is seriously underutilized by many local families, we are advocating for breakfast models that work for families and kids.
Breakfast in the Classroom
Serve breakfast when and where all kids are able to eat.
Grab n’ Go Breakfast
Let kids grab quick and healthy meals on the way to class.
Second Chance Breakfast
Serve students during a mid-morning break.
- Second Harvest’s School Breakfast Report: https://www.shfb.org/docs/advocacy/SchoolBreakfastReport.pdf
- FRAC Breakfast Blueprint: https://frac.org/wp-content/uploads/breakfast-blueprint-report-july2017.pdf
Summer is a difficult time for families because kids lose access to the free and low-cost meals they get at school. Second Harvest is leading local efforts to increase the number of summer meal sites and make sure families know about them. These efforts include connecting potential sites and meal providers with federal dollars that can be used to feed kids during the summer. More than 120 locations offer free, healthy summer meals in Santa Clara and San Mateo counties.
- Second Harvest’s Summer Meals Report: https://www.shfb.org/docs/advocacy/SummerMealsReport.pdf
2018 Summer Meals Locations (check back in spring 2019 for new locations):