Food Distribution Roles
Everyone should have access to healthy food
Second Harvest provides nutritious groceries and fresh produce at distribution sites throughout Santa Clara and San Mateo counties. These sites are volunteer-run and rely on committed, dedicated volunteers who can support this effort on an ongoing basis.
Help us provide a warm and welcoming environment for our clients. The below opportunities are available to those interested in volunteering at our distribution sites on a regular basis.
COVID-19 update: If you’re bilingual, healthy and able to assist clients at distribution sites, we need your help as a client greeter and registration volunteer.
A client greeter and registration volunteer is the first point of contact for clients at Second Harvest’s distribution sites. These volunteers must have a cheerful, welcoming demeanor and a willingness to welcome new clients. The greeter and registration volunteer is responsible for:
- Answer questions clients may have (in their preferred language)
- Setting expectations for the distribution
- Helping new clients navigate the distribution
Volunteers must be willing and able to work with people of different backgrounds and nationalities, exhibit compassion and sensitivity, and uphold strict confidentiality of all client and volunteer information.
Food distribution is a hands-on volunteer role. Responsibilities could include:
- Assisting with room set-up
- Assisting the driver in unloading pallets of food
- Moving and arranging food to facilitate the distribution process
- Distributing food and helping clients carry food to their cars
- Cleaning up, including breaking down boxes and removing empty pallets
This is a great chance for volunteers to interface with our clients. This volunteer activity does require some heavy lifting (a minimum of 25 lbs.) and regular movement.
Volunteers must be willing and able to work with people of different backgrounds and nationalities, exhibit compassion and sensitivity, maintain safe working conditions, and uphold strict confidentiality of all member and volunteer information.