On Friday, May 3, Second Harvest hosted its 2019 Harvest of Knowledge Partner Conference at the Oracle Conference Center in Redwood City. The event was a success with over 200 partners, presenters and staff attending. Participants enjoyed a day of information sharing, workshops, networking, great food and even yoga!
Keynote speaker Jim Kinsey, director of member experience at Planetree International, spoke about the person in person-centered care and the importance of taking care of the individuals providing care and services.
Second Harvest Senior Manager of Community Partnerships Sharon Kelleher said, “We are so thankful to have this opportunity to celebrate our wonderful partners and provide them with a day of learning, collaborating, networking and self-care. A huge thanks to Oracle for making all of this possible.”
Some of the workshop topics this year included client experience, person-centeredness, expanding CalFresh, food safety, best practices to distribute more food and mindfulness.
Every year, we spotlight our partners that go above and beyond in their daily work to help our neighbors in need. Congratulations to this year’s awards recipients:
- 2019 Volunteer Warrior Award: Gerard Furbershaw, Palo Alto Community Child Care Center
Gerard Furbershaw, recipient of the 2019 Volunteer Warrior Award
- 2019 Inspirational Leadership Award: Verbo Family Services
Verbo Family Services, recipient of the 2019 Inspirational Leadership Award
- 2019 Rising Star Nutrition Champion Award: Project Access
Project Access, recipient of the 2019 Rising Star Nutrition Champion Award
- 2019 Ultimate Food Connector Award: Yaseen Foundation
Yaseen Foundation, recipient of the 2019 Ultimate Food Connector Award
- 2019 Outstanding Grocery Rescue Partner: Homeless Veterans Emergency Housing Facility
Homeless Veterans Emergency Housing Facility, recipient of the 2019 Outstanding Grocery Rescue Partner
- 2019 McCown-Takalo Hunger Fighter Award: Mary Ruth Batchelder, La Comida de California
Mary Ruth Batchelder, recipient of the 2019 McCown-Takalo Hunger Fighter Award
- 2019 McCown-Takalo Hunger Fighter Award: Adolfo Leiva, Cañada College
Adolfo Leiva, recipient of the 2019 McCown-Takalo Hunger Fighter Award
One attendee exclaimed, “You all were wonderful…it [might] be a miracle but I heard what I needed to hear at the conference. Thank you so much to Second Harvest.”
Don’t forget to check out our photo gallery here!
You can download all PowerPoints from the conference below.
- State of the Food Bank – Leslie Bacho
- Nourish to Flourish: Tools for Self-Care – Jovanna Perez-Lydon
- 3Ms: Move, Massage and Mellow, a Yoga Experience – Alyssa Prettyman
- Keynote: The Person in Person-Centered Care – Jim Kinsey, followed by the Awards Ceremony
Breakout I PowerPoints:
- Building Bridges to Diversity and Inclusion: Cultural Humility – Frances Lobos and Kathy Reyes
- Happy Clients: Create a Great Client Experience – Olivia Teter
- Nutrition in Action: “Nudge” Your Clients for a More Wholesome Experience – Ruthi Solari
- USDA Civil Rights Training: Treating Everyone Fairly – Tometrius Paxton
Breakout II PowerPoints:
- State Mandate Food Recovery and You – Barbara Gehlen, Jack Johnson and Ruthi Solari
- Systematizing Person-Centeredness – Jim Kinsey
- Focus Group Questions – Jim Kinsey
- Stress and Relaxation Techniques for Underserved Populations – Elizabeth Holden and Jenisa Thompson
- Expanding CalFresh to Seniors and People With Disabilities Receiving SSI – Roseann Berthron-Arechiga and Jaime Rios
Thank you to everyone who attended the conference. Until next year!