Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes
- 1/2 cup white rice (Jasmine or Basmati rice)
- 1 boneless skinless chicken thigh, cut into chunks
- 1 cup water or chicken stock
- 1 cup canned, defrosted frozen or diced fresh vegetables (examples: green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, peas, corn, tomato, bell pepper)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Short on time? Whip up this nutritious rice dinner in your microwave – no stove required! Fresh, frozen or canned vegetables all work with this recipe, so use whatever you have handy.
How to Make Quick and Easy Microwaved Rice Dinner
- Place the rice, chicken and water in a large microwavable bowl. Add a dash of salt and pepper and stir.
- Cover the bowl with a microwave cover or plastic wrap.
- Microwave the bowl for 5 minutes on high power. Remove the bowl with hotpads.
- If you are using fresh vegetables now is the time to add them on top of the rice. Do not stir.
- Cover the bowl again and microwave for another 10 minutes on medium power.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave and let it sit for 5 minutes. Carefully remove the cover and taste the rice.
- If the rice is not quite done, microwave it for 1 minute at a time until it is the right texture.
- Fluff the rice with a fork. Add your canned or defrosted frozen vegetables if using.
- Season with salt and pepper and enjoy.