Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Hearty Lentil Salad with Lime Vinaigrette
- 1 cup uncooked green lentils (2 1/2 cups cooked)
- 4 cups water
- 1 large cucumber, deseeded and diced
- 3/4 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 3 kale leaves, destemmed and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Lentils are packed with protein, iron and fiber – which makes this salad super filling and satisfying. We combine the cooked lentils with fresh greens and veggies, then toss with a tangy citrusy vinaigrette. This hearty lentil salad has all the flavor, crunch and freshness to have as a lunch meal or a tasty side dish for dinner.
How to Make Hearty Lentil Salad with Lime Vinaigrette
- 1. Using a colander, rinse lentils and remove any bad pieces or debris.
- 2. Into a pot over medium-high heat, add rinsed lentils and 4 cups water. Cover the pot and bring to a boil,
then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until lentils are cooked to desired firmness. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Drain and set aside to cool.
- 3. While lentils are cooling, make the salad dressing. In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, garlic, salt, cumin and black pepper.
- 4. Into the same bowl, add lentils, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion and kale. Toss to evenly coat everything, then add cilantro. Adjust seasonings as needed. Enjoy!