Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 70 minutes
- 3 large bell peppers, halved lengthwise and deseeded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese of choice
Enjoy these rice and beans stuffed bell peppers – a fun variation to bring variety to your menu! This recipe is a great way to use leftover brown rice or black beans. Try colorful bell peppers and enjoy it as a side dish or a light dinner.
How to Make Rice and Beans Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Sauté onions and celery for 5 minutes. Add garlic. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add all the seasonings and the can of tomatoes. Simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and beans, until all the ingredients are mixed together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stuff peppers and put into a lightly oil coated baking dish. Pour enough water into a baking dish to just cover the bottom. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cheese on the peppers and continue baking until the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.