Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 medium eggplants, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes, undrained and crushed by hand
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 lb spaghetti or pasta of choice
- 16 leaves fresh basil, divided
- Grated parmesan (for serving)
- 1 tsp crushed red chili flakes
Enjoy this delicious Italian-inspired recipe which combines the tenderness of the eggplant with the creaminess of the tomato sauce over pasta. This will become a favorite dish for everyone in the family, even the little ones.
How to Make Pasta with Eggplant and Tomato Sauce
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain the pasta.
- Heat a large skillet with olive oil. Add eggplant and season with salt and pepper. Cook until golden and tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, oregano and chili flakes; cook until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and half the basil to eggplant mixture; season with salt and pepper and cook about 5 minutes.
- Transfer pasta to tomato sauce, add reserved cooking water and toss to combine. Stir in remaining basil.
- Serve with grated parmesan.