Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 5 Minutes
Total Time: 10 Minutes
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chickpeas
- 1 Tbsp chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1/2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1 egg
- Pinch of salt
- Lemon to taste
Shakshuka is a hearty and delicious North African dish. It consists of eggs topped in a deliciously spiced onion-tomato base. We love how easy it is to make with simple ingredients – and ready in the microwave in just a few minutes.
- 1. In a microwave safe bowl, mix crushed tomatoes, chickpeas, onion, bell pepper, cumin, cilantro, parsley and salt.
- 2. Gently crack an egg in the middle.
- 3. Cover with plastic wrap.
- 4. Microwave for 2-4 minutes, or until the egg is cooked to your liking.
- 5. Sprinkle with extra parsley and squeeze lemon juice.
- 6. Enjoy with toast or on its own.
Note: If using salsa, you can skip the extra onion, bell pepper, cilantro and parsley.