Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
- 2 lbs of flank steak
- 1 garlic clove, optional
- 6 medium tomatoes, diced small
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 lb fresh gueros chili peppers, diced
- 1 lb Anaheim peppers or green chiles for an extra spicy dish, without seeds and grilled in strips
- 2 tbsp of cooking oil
- 2-3 eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
The machaca is a traditional Mexican dish that is said to have originated in the Northern part of the country. Now, each region has its own version, and it is usually eaten as breakfast with eggs, but it can also be served at any other time of the day with beans, rice and tortillas.
How to Make Savory Mexican Machaca con Huevo
1. In a large pot, add the flank steak, garlic clove, and salt. Add enough water to cover the entire steak.
2. Boil/simmer the meat until it is cooked through.
3. Once done, let the steak cool and shred it with a fork.
4. In a large skillet, heat the cooking oil. Add the shredded meat and cook for about 20 minutes.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Carefully mix the vegetables and meat together and cook until the tomatoes start releasing its juices.
7. Serve warm with rice and beans or tortillas for lunch or dinner. For breakfast, crack 2-3 eggs on top of the shredded meat with vegetables and scramble everything together.
8. Refrigerate any leftovers and use it the next day.