Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 65 minutes
Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp curry powder
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 medium size (about 2 lbs) butternut squash, peeled, deseeded, chopped into cubes
- Juice from 1 orange, about 1/4 cup
- Zest from 1 orange, optional
- 1-2 tsp salt
Maple Bacon Onion Topping
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 Tbsp finely minced ginger
Our creamy butternut squash soup is perfect comfort food! The combined sweetness from the apples, onions, and squash perfectly complement the spicy aromas from the garlic, curry, and red pepper flakes. Garnish with pumpkin seeds, coconut milk, or cilantro if you’re not making the bacon topping. With all the squash on hand at our food bank, be sure to give this recipe a try. It’s delicious!
How to Make Butternut Squash Soup
For Butternut Squash Soup:
1. Heat cooking oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and apple and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the curry powder and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute.
2. Add the broth, squash, orange juice, and orange zest (if using). Cover and let come to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
3. Puree the soup in batches using your blender, or in the pot with an immersion blender. Season to taste with salt. Serve the soup topped with maple bacon onions.
For Maple Bacon Onion Topping:
1. Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crispy, about 10 minutes. Once crispy, remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Add the sliced onions to the pan with about half of the bacon oil and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Now add the maple syrup and ginger and continue to cook until onion mixture is thick and caramelized, about 10 minutes. Remove pan from the heat, crumble the bacon over the onions, and stir to combine.