Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of canned whole tomatoes, drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can of chickpeas
- 1 cup small size pasta
- 4 cups of roughly chopped leafy greens, like kale or spinach
- Grated parmesan for serving
- Olive oil for serving
Pick your favorite small pasta to add to this full flavor delicious soup. Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are a great source of protein to add to your vegetarian dishes.
How to Make Italian Chickpea Soup with Pasta
- Heat oil in large pot. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until soft, about 4-5 mins. Add garlic, rosemary and red pepper flakes, cook for 1 min more. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in tomatoes and chickpeas, breaking up the tomatoes with the back of spoon or spatula and smashing about 1/2 cup.
- Add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and simmer, stirring often. Cook for 10 mins. The water will be mostly absorbed by the pasta, but if you prefer to have more soup broth, you can add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of water or chicken stock and simmer until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the greens and stir until wilted. Taste and season accordingly.
- Ladle into bowls and top with grated parmesan cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.