Prep Time: 40 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 60 Minutes
- 8 starchy potatoes
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 2 chili peppers (aji Amarillo), finely chopped or 2 Tbsp aji Amarillo paste
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can of tuna, drained
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 2 Tbsp of mayonnaise
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 2 hardboiled eggs
- 4 black olives
Peruvian Causa Rellena is a flavorful mix of potato salad, chili pepper and tuna. It’s perfect to bring along to a picnic or potluck, and we love the colorful presentation.
This delightful recipe was written by one of our clients at Second Harvest of Silicon Valley.
How to Make Peruvian Causa Rellena
- Place the unpeeled potatoes in a large pot of cold, salted water. Bring to a boil and cook until they are very tender and cooked through. Drain and set aside to cool.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, remove the skin. Mash the potatoes very well using a potato ricer or masher until a smooth fluffy “dough” is achieved. Add the olive oil, aji amarillo, lime juice, parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Mix the ingredients until they are all combined, and the potato dough has a smooth consistency and an even color.
- In a separate bowl, add the tuna, red onion, peas, carrots, and mayonnaise. Mix well to combine and set aside.
- Use a round cookie cutter to assemble the layers – you may need to lift the cutter along the way as you form each layer. First, add a layer of the potato dough, about 1 inch high, and press down with a spoon. Next, add a layer of the avocado slices on top. Now add a layer of the tuna filling and gently press down with a spoon to create an even surface. Finish off with another layer of potato dough and gently press down with a spoon again. Carefully remove the cookie cutter and repeat this process with the rest of the ingredients.
- You can garnish the causa with an egg slice, a sprig of parsley, and an olive. Enjoy!